Tuesday 18 August 2015

Networked Storytelling through film

Today we were given instructions for our upcoming Networked Storytelling task. The process towards planning, filming and completing a movie is intriguing. Personally, I have always been a terrible planner. I prefer to think on the go, letting my instincts dictate the path of the film. But that is not viable in the film industry and even local filming for that matter. Having a refresher on what steps could be undertaken prior to the production of a film is a good reminder.


Filming has been a hobby of mine in the past. It is not something I do very often, but when my friends and I have free time, we often try to create a short story on the spot. That is probably the reason I struggle in the planning process for film! In spite of this weakness, I have experience in planning, having undertaken the film narrative task in Year 12. As part of the criteria for the course, we had to show evidence of extensive planning and thinking, being ticked off the list after showing the teacher our storyboards, statement of intention, treatment, etc. We were unable to progress further in our projects without this work, making clear the importance of covering all bases before entering filming. Whilst I did find the process stifling at first, I soon began to see the benefits of such an approach - filming took literally no time at all!


This was due to a variety of factors;
-we knew which locations we were going to use in the shoot.
-my cameraman had the storyboard and had an immediate reference as to how he was going to record the scene - there wasn't time wasted asking me (acting in the film) for clarification.
-props were planned in advance, we set aside time to change quickly.
-we all understood the direction of the film!


The only negative with such extensive planning, is that I simply couldn't express the ideas I had in my head fully. The film I pictured in my mind was a great deal better than the one I shot! But that wasn't due to a lack of trying. I'm an ideas man that is a bit unrealistic in one's plans! That's why it's important to be realistic in the planning of your film and knowing your limitations to prevent being disappointed. That's not to say you can't aim for the stars! It just means you have to be aware of what might hold back your film.


Despite having filmed a fair bit in the past, I learnt a great deal more in the class about the effects certain shots have on the viewing experience. What previously were hunches about certain aspects became facts; close-up's certainly give an emotional aspect to a story. I had attempted to convey that in the past, but did not have the know-how to convey it properly in my film. Little hints like this, as small as they may seem, have a gigantic effect on the meaning and composition of a finished film. I look forward to completing the Networked Storytelling task, particularly trying to link a series together and giving it cohesion!

No comments:

Post a Comment