Tuesday 4 August 2015

Workshop 2 - Networked Communities (questions)

What are you interested in?
1- Music (Album reviews, live gigs, etc.)
2- Sport (Cricket, AFL, Soccer, Horse Racing, etc.)
3- Photography, Amateur film.

Where do I want to be in 4 years?
The profession I'm training for is becoming a secondary teacher in the streams of English and Media Studies. Whilst that is where I'd like to be in four years, there are other places/professions that would make me even happier if I happened to stumble across them. Purely from a leisure point of view, I'd be absolutely stoked if I was travelling the world, learning and observing different cultures. An innate dream would be to become a successful musician, but that is all it is, a 'dream'. There are a great deal of factors that one would have to consider - living below the poverty line for one, gigging to unreceptive crowds occasionally and toiling away at your art, with creative peaks and troughs. Whilst there are negatives associated with the profession, they aren't that bad, as you are doing what you are passionate about, it is something that you love doing.

What are the things I should be doing to get to that point?
I am currently in my third year of my Bachelor of Education. To become a teacher, I'll obviously have to complete my course. But finishing the course isn't going to transport me straight into the classroom. I will need to build networks, with teachers and schools across the state. Undertaking relief teaching at schools around the area, will get my name out there with perspective principals. Improving my craft to the point where I am seen as a trusted and talented CRT, will potentially make it an easier process entering the profession. This is all keeping in mind that I haven't received luck and entered teaching beforehand, due to positive experiences through placement.


To be able to travel in four years, I'd have to save enough money to sustain a long trip. This would require a lot of work beforehand. Another option would potentially be getting a license to serve alcohol, allowing me to enter nomadic work across the countries I'm travelling. To have a memorable trip, it would be smart to undertake a lot of study prior as to where are the places I'd ideally like to travel to, as well as satisfying financial concerns.

Last and not least, is potentially becoming a musician. This will need a GREAT DEAL more work then my other 'dreams'. This would involve playing with a consistent band line-up, with a creative spark to create enjoyable, original songs. We would have to be able to perform regularly and rehearse regularly, to build that creative spark, as well as our respective skills as musicians and as a group. Performing live constantly would help build a fanbase, where we can release records to and sell t-shirts. Gosh I'm rambling a bit, this doesn't even cover a tenth of what could be done!

Who are the people and organizations that should know who I am and what I do?
As stated above, I will require a great deal of networking to satisfy two of my options; particularly teaching. I will need to work at schools across the state to build my reputation as a reliable educator. For music, there is a plethora of people or organizations that should know who I am and what I do if I was to become successful in the industry. Without this 'foot in the door', there would be effectively no chance of becoming part of a reputable band. X-Factor doesn't count. That's gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment